Thursday 10 May 2012

Mrs Kelly's dubious testimony (4)

A weapons inspector colleague of Dr Kelly gave evidence at the Hutton Inquiry under the cloak of anonymity, he was referred to as "Mr A".  In fact he was Rod Godfrey who had known Dr Kelly since 1992.  On the morning of 10 July 2003 David Kelly visited him at his home to drop off some anti-malarial medicine.  This is the relevant part of the exchange at the Inquiry with Mr Dingemans asking the questions:

Q. When you saw him on 10th July, where were you?
A. I was at home, preparing to fly the next day.
Q. We do not want to know exactly where your home is. Can you give us a general description of the area, perhaps by county?
A. Certainly, Wiltshire.
Q. And you saw him on 10th July?
 
A. Yes.
Q. We have heard that he spent the night of the 9th July at a hotel in Weston-Super-Mare then, I think, travelled down on 10th July to Cornwall. Did he tell you that he was travelling anywhere?
A. It was slightly odd. He rang me on the morning of the10th to tell me he had the medication for me.
Q. What medication was this?
A. It was paladin, it is an anti-malarial medication.
Q. Who had given him that?
A. The doctor at RAF Honnington had given him the medication for the three of us who were about to deploy to Iraq on Friday. She had made a slight error in the prescription and was giving us some more.
Q. Right. And he rang you to say that he had the medication -- sorry, I interrupted.
A. Yes. He rang to say he had the medication and was quite happy to drop it off. This was quite odd. I was quite happy to travel the short distance to his home to pick it up. But he almost insisted he dropped it off.  Within about half an hour to an hour he arrived at my house.
Q. Sorry to press you, whereabouts in Wiltshire? Can you give a town that you are near?
A. I am near Swindon.

LORD HUTTON: Was Mrs Kelly with Dr Kelly at this time, Mr A?
A. It is possible that she could have been in the car. I myself did not understand how the whole Weston-Super-Mare/Cornwall trip works in the chronology.  David had parked some distance from my house and walked 100 yards up the road to my house.
Q. Do you have a drive?
A. I am afraid not.
Q. Was 100 yards the closest he could park?
A. Yes, that is the problem.
Q. And how did he seem to you when you saw him on 10th July?
A. He was distracted. Our conversation would normally include a significant part relating to work, but he seemed to want nothing more than to have a cup of coffee and walk through my garden talking about the garden, so that is what we did.

This is what Mrs Kelly had to say about the morning of the 10th following their overnight stay in the hotel at Weston-Super-Mare:

Q. You set off down to Cornwall I think?
A. We did, yes.
Q. What time did you leave the hotel?
A. We left the hotel about 8.30, 8.45, that sort of time.
Q. What time did you get down to the place you were driving to in Cornwall?
A. That was about noon or just after.

We are led to believe that they left the hotel after breakfast to double back up the M4 to Swindon in order to drop off the medicine.  Dr Kelly had coffee and walked around the garden before dashing down the M4 and M5 to arrive at their destination at about midday.  No wonder Mr A said  'I myself did not understand how the whole Weston-Super-Mare/Cornwall trip works in the chronology'.

Even though Rod Godfrey flags up the problem with the chronology of events Lord Hutton, as usual, fails to investigate any further.  

No comments:

Post a Comment